The turfgrass research and education facility is located at 395 Greenmead Drive on the northern edge of University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) campus in Prince George's County. It occupies 35 acres of land.
The main thrust of the research concerns turfgrass but we also have some studies looking at wildflowers and ornamental/native grasses. There are four full-time turfgrass researchers in the program:
- Dr. Peter Dernoeden - Diseases of Turf, and Weed Control
- Dr. Thomas Turner - Soil Fertility, and Variety Evaluations
- Dr. Mark Carroll - Plant Physiology, and Pesticide Fate
- Dr. Kevin Mathias - Entomology and IAA (2 year) Turf Program
All professors are also active in Extension education and teach turfgrass science classes at UMCP. The turf farm is utilized for hands-on education of all aspects of turf management and turf science.
Address, Directions & Contact
CMREC - Paint Branch Turfgrass Facility
395 Greenmead Drive
College Park, MD 20740
- Turn WEST onto Metzerott Road.
- Immediately turn right onto Greenmead Drive.
- Go all the way to the end, past the 4H Center and the Avrum Gudelsky Veterinary Center and you will see a sign for us.
- Proceed down the gravel road to the buildings.