Sigma Alpha Sorority
Who are we?
Sigma Alpha is a professional agricultural sorority dedicated to the success of women in agriculture. The University of Maryland, College Park Beta Alpha chapter was originally founded in 2003 and remains active today, welcoming new sisters every spring and fall semester! Our sisters participate in professional development workshops, network with industry professionals, participate in philanthropy projects on and off campus, and build long lasting friendships with one another.
What do we do?
Past and present events and projects include:
- Professional workshops, which include speakers from different agricultural industries, resume building, dressing for success, and public speaking
- Attending local and national leadership conferences
- Networking with industry professionals
- Raising money and donating our time to support charities like Heifer International, the Baltimore ASPCA, clothing drives, women’s shelters, and more!
- Coordinating our Maryland Day Kiss-a-Pig Competition and grilled cheese sale
- Our retreat each semester. In the past we have visited and camped at Harpers Ferry, The Buck, sisters' farms, and Assateague Island