CMREC - Headquarters Building
11975-A Homewood Road
Ellicott City, MD 21042
The Central Maryland Research and Education Center (CMREC) Headquarters is located on Homewood Road near Ellicott City, Maryland. It serves as the business office for the four Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station (MAES) facilities that are part of CMREC: Beltsville, Clarksville, Paint Branch, and Upper Marlboro.
Administratively, the facility is home base for Mike Dwyer, acting Director for Central Maryland, Western Maryland, and Lower Eastern Shore Research and Education Centers. The Federal Excess Property Program (FEPP) is also managed from an office at this site. Annually, this program oversees the acquisition of federal excess property.
University of Maryland Extension (UME) maintains offices at CMREC Headquarters including Extension specialists covering the areas of Nursery & Greenhouse Management as well as Agriculture & Natural Resources Environmental Management which focuses on water quality through the Bay-Wise Program and natural resource education via the Maryland Master Naturalist Program. The nursery/greenhouse management program conducts research and demonstration projects on-site that support the program. Visit the Commercial Horticulture IPMNet website for more information.
The UME Home and Garden Information Center (HGIC) is located adjacent to the Headquarters building. Four Extension specialists field a myriad of homeowner and gardener questions submitted through the HGIC web page.
- Take Route 32 to Route 108 East.
- Follow 108 East to Sheppard Lane.
- Turn left on Sheppard Lane and follow to the traffic circle.
- Take first exit onto Homewood Road and take first right.
- Take Route 32 towards Clarksville.
- At first light turn left onto Route 144.
- Follow Route 144 to a right on Folly Quarter Road.
- Follow Folly Quarter Road to traffic circle.
- Take third exit on the traffic circle to Homewood Road.
- CMREC Headquarters will be the first right.