As the University's cornerstone college, we embody the land-grant mission with a commitment to eliminate hunger and malnutrition, preserve our natural resources, improve quality of life, and empower the next generation through world-class education.
Overview of AGNR's Strategic Initiatives
- Encourage entrepreneurship in food production, accessibility, availability, and processing.
- Improve the health and well-being of populations through sharing knowledge of food production, processing, access, and consumption.
- Inform policy based on sound research.
- Design land use management strategies to minimize negative environmental impact.
- Develop storm water management technologies to improve water quality.
- Safely apply fertilizer, manure and other nutrients to protect soil health and water quality.
- Evolve in the face of climate change to address sea level rise and extreme weather.
- Create environmentally aware communities and promote increased interest and participation.
- Increase plant and animal productivity.
- Improve and conserve soil health and water quality.
- Contribute to the success of agricultural businesses.
- Prepare the next generation for careers in agriculture.
- Create sustainable energy solutions.
- Decrease chronic diseases and diseases transmitted from animals to humans.
- Promote and support healthy and livable communities through education.
- Manage and adapt to climate change.
- Investigate links between human, animal, and environmental health.
- Analyze environmental and agricultural policy and inform decision makers.
- Refine and improve the process and perception of urban expansion into rural areas.
- Improve understanding of agriculture and environmental awareness in urban areas.
- Improve the performance of built environments.
Events and Opportunities
AGNR Cornerstone Award
This new award recognizes contributions from AGNR faculty, staff, or from external partners in an area defined by one of AGNR's five strategic initiatives. Nominees should actively promote awareness of one of the strategic initiatives, demonstrate innovation, and provide a model for others in the college.