During AGNR's second annual Cornerstone Event, we will build partnerships around the college's strategic initiative, Ensure a Clean and Healthy Chesapeake Bay. We look forward to welcoming partners and thought-leaders from across academia, industry, and government, as well as citizens from around the state for a full day of discussion and collaboration on how to tackle this pressing Maryland-centric challenge.
We hope you can join us on October 29, 2019 at The Stamp Student Union!
Dr. Rita Colwell, distinguished university professor and 11th director of the National Science Foundation will offer the keynote, supplemented by other speakers, presenters and contributors across UMD and other prominent institutions. Dr. Colwell is recognized for her study of global infectious diseases through water sources and its impacts on global health. She is one of the world's foremost experts in vibrios, earning her the National Medal of Science, the International Prize for Biology, and the Stockholm Water Prize. Q&A with Dr. Colwell
8:30 - 9:00 - Breakfast and Registration
9:00 - 9:10 - Welcome by Dean Beyrouty
9:10 - 9:30 - The Chesapeake Bay: a History of Restoration - Lee Currey, Director, Water & Science Administration, Maryland Department of the Environment
9:40 - 10:55 - Concurrent Sessions #1
- Land Use Management and Protecting the Environment
- Sustainable Agricultural Conservation Practices
- The Impacts of Climate Change
- Creating Environmentally Aware Communities, Part 1
- Historic and Emerging Contaminants
10:55 - 11:05 - Break
11:05 - 12:25 - Concurrent Sessions #2
- Best Practices in Governance of Water
- Sustainable Management of Agricultural Nutrients
- Oysters, Shellfish and the Protection of Important Living Resources
- Creating Environmentally Aware Communities, Part 2
- Stormwater Management Technologies
12:20 - 1:45 - Lunch and Poster Session
1:45 - 3:00 - Keynote from Dr. Rita Colwell, with an Introduction from Provost Mary Ann Rankin
3:00 - 4:00 - Panel Discussion and Q&A: How can AGNR Help you?
4:00 - 4:30 - Wrap Up and Poster Awards
Location and Parking
1) Conference location: Please click here for a link to the UMD campus map and the exact location of the STAMP Student Union
2) The most convenient parking option is Union Lane Garage. We will send all registrants that are driving in from off-campus parking information and a complimentary parking code via email.