AgPAS is AGNR's Pre-Award Services unit, established within the Dean's Office in November 2014, to centralize all pre-award functions for the entire college. We strive to increase efficiencies by standardizing business processes and responding to opportunities more strategically. Our primary purpose is to ease the administrative burden of AGNR’s PI's, thus allowing you to focus your energy on the science and/or outreach. This model has resulted in more proposals submitted and more awards made.
Complete for all proposals requesting funding.
Complete the Non-Funded Questionnaire for MOU's, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Data Use Agreements, Software Licenses, Teaming Agreements, Equipment Loans, etc. (For Material Transfers, use the Material Transfer Agreement instead.)
The AgPAS team wants to keep you up-to-date on information available from external agencies outside of the university.
USDA-NIFA's 2022 AFRI includes Foundational, Education & Workforce Development, and Sustainable Agriculture Systems. The deadlines extend from 05/05/22 through 10/20/22.
- RFP's/INSTRUCTIONS: Available now
Effective 7/14/2020, any pre-proposal that is submitted through a sponsor's proprietary system must be routed through AgPAS and the Office of Research Administration, regardless if a detailed budget is required or not.
If the pre-proposal is not being submitted through a proprietary system AND only an estimated budget is required, the pre-proposal would not need to be routed.
AgPAS requires PI's to provide a "courtesy copy" for non-routed pre-proposals.
NIH regularly updates its form set used for all proposal submissions. Please be aware that Biosketch updates go into effect January 25, 2022. See NIH's Dedicated webpage for guidance.
NSF issued PAPPG (22-1) on 6/25/21. It becomes effective for all proposals submitted or due on or after 10/4/2021. Significant changes include:
The new PAPPG will be effective for proposals submitted or due, and awards made, on or after October 4, 2021. Significant changes include:
- A new section covering requests for reasonable and accessibility accommodations regarding the proposal process or requests for accessibility accommodations to access NSF’s electronic systems, websites and other digital content;
- A table entitled, NSF Pre-award and Post-award Disclosures Relating to the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support (link is external). This table identifies where pre- and post-award current and pending support disclosure information must be provided. Proposers and awardees may begin using this table immediately;
- Use of an NSF-approved format will not be required until implementation of PAPPG 20-1 on June 1, 2020.
- Increasing the page limit for the biographical sketch from two to three pages;
- Updates to the current and pending support section of NSF proposals to require that information on objectives and overlap with other projects is provided to help NSF and reviewers assess overlap/duplication;
- Adding planning proposals and Career-Life Balance supplemental funding requests as new proposal types;
- Updates to travel proposals will require that AORs certify that prior to the proposer’s participation in the meeting for which NSF travel support is being requested, the proposer will assure that the meeting organizer has a written policy or code-of-conduct addressing harassment.
Please review the by-chapter summary of changes provided in the Introduction section of the PAPPG.
If your proposal is selected for funding, always read your terms and conditions. Some awards have a "hard stop" - ORA will not establish an award account until the PI completes an Intellectual Property Waiver. Such is the case for Maryland Soybean Board & Delaware Soybean Board awards. See attached representative award document highlighting some of the unique conditions. AgPAS advises PI's to always read your award's Terms and Conditions, regardless of the sponsor. We can assist with this; please contact if need be.
Still need some extra assistance and guidance for your proposal? The AgPAS team has put together several resources to help you out in the process.
|ORA's Sponsored Research Handbook||Basic grantsmanship terms, concepts, and processes, with a UMD slant.|
|Establishing Subawards at UMD||AgPAS offers this informative primer on the subaward process for award recipients and our Post-Award colleagues.||Download|
|AgPAS Budget||AgPAS's preferred budget. Must be used for USDA-NIFA proposals. This budget auto-calculates options in USDA's allowable IDC rates.||Download|
|Cost-Share Worksheet||Complete whenever pledging institutional (departmental) cost-share including foregone F&A. Must be signed by Departmental Chair, or designee. (Updated April 2020)
NOTE: Third-party cost-share documentation must also be included, must be provided by Fiscal Authority of the third party.
|Sub-recipient Commitment Form||Should be completed and included with proposal submission for each prospective subawardee. The AgPAS Contract Administrator will complete with PI's assistance.||Download|
|Organized Research Unit -or- Significant Project Designation||If your unit or project is authorized to budget for what are normally considered unallowable administrative costs, use this form to apply for special status which would streamline the proposal review process.||Download|
|Guidelines||Guidelines for Organized Research Unit -or- Significant Project Designation. This document provides further context for determining if your project and/or unit qualifies for status as a Significant Project or Authorized Research Unit.||Download|
Use only when transferring Materials from another institution.
Updated 13 January 2021.
|Advanced Account Request||When unofficial notice of funding has been received, and sponsors authorizes pre-award spending, PI/Department may opt to establish an advanced account. PI and Department establish an AANA with understanding that they are operating at risk unitl ORA receives official authorizing notice from the sponsor.||Download|
Establishing Subawards at UMD
|(POST AWARD) AgPAS offers this informative primer on the subaward process for award recipients and our Post-Award colleagues.||Download|
|Sub-Award Request Form||(POST AWARD) If the proposal submitted included sub-awards in the budget, PI/Department must complete this form to signal ORA to draft the subaward agreement and collect bilateral signatures.||Download|
|Sub-Award Modification Request||(POST AWARD) Use to request a modfication to an existing subaward being let to another institution, including changes to performance period, amount awarded, reporting requirements,etc.||Download|
ENST, AES, JIFSAN/CFS3