Pork Industry Scholarships
Sponsor: Pork Checkoff, PIC and Pioneer | Application Deadline: May 31, 2015
Scholarship URL: http://www.pork.org/pork-checkoff-research/college-scholarships/
All juniors and seniors in college who plan to pursue a career in swine production management or a related field, or will be seeking to attend veterinary or graduate school and major in a discipline with an emphasis on swine, are invited to submit an application for consideration to receive one of the scholarships sponsored by the Pork Checkoff.
“The pork industry is committed to continual improvement in producing safe, wholesome protein. Identifying and developing the next generation of leaders and decision-makers is critical to this continual improvement,” says Chris Hostetler, Animal Science Director for the Pork Checkoff. “A survey of previous scholarship winners revealed that 80 percent are pursuing advanced degrees in preparation to serve the industry as veterinarians, nutritionists, reproductive biologists and management consultants.”
Specific questions about the Pork Industry Scholarship program should be directed to Dr. Chris Hostetler at email@example.com or 515-223-2606.
- A minimum of 19 scholarships will be awarded. The top applicant will be awarded a scholarship of $5,000 and a scholarship of $3,500 will be awarded to the first runner-up. All other scholarships awarded are $2,000.
- Applications only will be considered if the online application form and all support materials are received by the deadline.
Applicants must be a junior or senior college student majoring in animal science or a related field and is planning to:
- Pursue a career in swine production management or a related field, or
- Attend graduate school and major in one of the following disciplines, with an emphasis on swine:
• Agricultural Business
• Agriculture Engineering
• Animal Breeding/Genetics/Genomics
• Animal Physiology
• Environmental Science
Scholarship applicants must be interested in pursuing a career in the pork industry. Preference will be given to applicants
affiliated with the pork industry as:
• Members of a family currently in or associated with pork production,
• Members of a family associated with allied industry or the marketing segments of the pork industry.
• Active or past members of industry youth leadership development programs with emphasis on swine.
• Having had previous swine-specific internships.
- An online application form is available at pork.org. Only individuals that complete the online application form and provide all support materials prior to the application deadline will be considered.
- Support materials required for a complete application include:
- Two letters of support
- Academic transcripts
- Letters of support must come from non-family members. Counselors, employers, mentors, academic advisors, industry
- Professionals or other supporters should submit letters of support via email to Dr. Chris Hostetler at CHostetler@pork.org. The letter must be in PDF format and the filename must be the last name of the applicant for whom the letter is written.
- Transcripts require hard-copy, U.S. Postal Service submission. Applications will only be considered if the online application form is completed and all support materials are received by the deadline.
- Successful applicants will be awarded one scholarship only. Family members of National Pork Board employees are not eligible.