The Joseph M. Mitchell Memorial Scholarship Award
Sponsor: University of Maryland | Application Deadline: January 10, 2016
The Joseph M. Mitchell Memorial Scholarship is one-time award of up to $1,000 that is applied to the recipient's tuition, living or schooling expenses at the University of Maryland, College Park. To be eligible for the Scholarship Award, a student must meet the following established criteria:
- Be a registered degree-seeking student at the University of Maryland, College Park during the semester for which the award is made;
- Have completed at least one full semester of enrollment at a college or university and/or be enrolled at the time of application;
- Have personal or family circumstances that have affected the applicant’s experience at the University of Maryland and that have caused or contributed to a burden that may be remedied in whole or in part by the scholarship award;
- Have at least one semester of study left at UMCP before receiving a degree; and
- Be able to apply the full amount of the award to tuition, living expenses or schooling expenses, such as textbooks or equipment, in the semester for which the scholarship is awarded and as can be disbursed by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
This scholarship will be awarded based on the responses to the application or nomination questions. If necessary, up to three finalists may be invited to meet with the Scholarship Award Committee. Decisions by the Scholarship Award Committee are final. The award recipient will be notified before the start of classes. Questions about the application and award process may be addressed to: Mr. Dai-An Tran at 301-314-0416.
Applicants must complete the following questions to be considered. You should print these questions and prepare your responses in a separate document so you can cut-and-paste your responses in the on-line application. Each question has a 1,500 character (letter, number, space) limit, please plan your responses accordingly.
1. This Scholarship Award is intended to help retain at the University of Maryland students who otherwise would be compelled by unplanned personal or family circumstances to leave the University and/or prolong their time in school and delay their graduation date. If you have new or unplanned personal or family circumstances of this nature, please briefly describe your situation.
2. This scholarship was created to honor Joe Mitchell, an employee of the University of Maryland who gave selflessly of his time, money, friendship and capacity for caring to disadvantaged persons in the communities in which he worked and lived. Please indicate detailed information about service to community and/or family in which you have been involved, past or present, including ways in which you have reached out to serve the needs of others.
3. Are there financial concerns that you want the Scholarship Award Committee to consider when it reviews this application? If so, please provide detailed information.
4. Is there anything else you wish to share with the Scholarship Award Committee about your experience with the University of Maryland?