Boren Scholarship - National Security Education Program
Sponsor: | Application Deadline: February 9, 2017
Scholarship URL: https://www.borenawards.org/
Boren Scholarships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
Boren Scholars represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Scholars commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation. For more information about the Boren Scholarship service expectation please visit the Boren Website at: http://www.borenawards.org/boren_scholars_service.html.
Boren Scholarship are awarded as follows:
- $8,000 for a summer program (special initiative for STEM students only; 8 weeks minimum)
- $10,000 for a semester
- $20,000 for a 6 - 12 months
Boren Scholarships are awarded with preference for countries, languages, and fields of study critical to U.S. national security.
Preference is also given to students who will study abroad for longer periods of time, and who are highly motivated by the opportunity to work in the federal government. As we cannot list all countries, languages, and fields that are critical to U.S. national security, we are interested in applications that fall outside the preferences, if the candidate can make a compelling case that such study can contribute significantly to U.S. national security and the goals of the program.
For more information, please visit, what makes a competitive Boren Scholarship application.
- US Citizens-Seniors, Recent Graduates - All Majors- GPA of 3.4 or higher strongly recommended-Students planning study abroad in the summer, fall, or spring.
- To learn more about program expectations, click here.
- All Maryland applicants for the Boren Scholarship must take part in a campus review process which is designed to help you strengthen your applications. If you are interested in learning more about the Maryland review process for the Boren Scholarship, please contact the National Scholarships Office at: firstname.lastname@example.org