American Horse Publications Student Award
Sponsor: American Horse Publications | Application Deadline: January 22, 2016
Scholarship URL: http://www.americanhorsepubs.org/students/student_award/
The AHP Student Award Contest awards up to three $750 travel awards to attend the annual AHP Seminar in June. Travel Award winners have an opportunity to meet leading equine publishing professionals and discuss career possibilities during the three days of educational sessions and related activities.
One Travel Award winner is selected at the seminar as the Student Award Winner. The Student Award winner wins a cash award of $1,000 plus an all-expense paid trip hosted by Publishers Press to one of their Two-Day Customer Education Seminars in Louisville, Kentucky, to have a unique experience to learn the printing process. Additional cash awards awarded at the discretion of the judges to the runners-up. All cash awards are sponsored by AIM Equine Network.
Students are eligible to enter the contest if they are a high school senior or an undergraduate college student during the 2015-2016 school year, with at least one semester before graduation at the time of application. All qualified applicants will receive a complimentary Student annual membership, a critique of their resume, and a complimentary Student registration certificate for the annual seminar in Orlando, Florida on June 16-18, 2016. The AHP Student Award Contest is open to residents of the US and Canada only.
As an award winner you’ll …
- Win a cash award of $1000
- Get an intensive three-day “short course” in equine publishing. Attending the annual meeting will broaden your awareness of the size, scope and importance of this niche publishing field, and the service it provides for North America’s vast equine industry.
- Meet, mingle and participate with publishers, editors, advertising, production, and marketing managers. You will participate in workshops, interactive discussions, lectures and informal get-togethers. This eye-opening seminar will inform and enlighten you about the opportunities available to, and skills needed for, someone interested in pursuing a career in equine publishing.
- Have an opportunity to discuss your talents and potential with the men and women who do the hiring. Conversely, those men and women will be evaluating and appraising you as a possible future staff member.
- High school seniors and undergraduate college students with at least one semester remaining before graduation, pursuing a career in equine publishing, are encouraged to compete for the 2016 AHP Student Travel Awards and Student Award. NOTE: The AHP Student Award contest is open to residents of the US and Canada only
Completed application form, plus:
1. Transcript of high school or college work completed and list of courses in progress.
2. List of scholarships and awards received, club and other organization memberships, and extra-curricular activities.
3. Employment record, including current job(s).
4. A 200-word (maximum) biographical sketch detailing your equine background, publishing experience, and career plans.
5. Three samples of your work, i.e. news or feature articles, advertisements, publications, photographs, artwork, etc. (Classroom or published material acceptable.)
6. Two letters of recommendation from individuals such as instructors and employers.
Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
All entries must be postmarked no later than January 22, 2016
Selection of Award Winners
The Student Award Committee will evaluate and compare your entry with other candidates based on the following criteria:
- Relevant experience
- Skills and abilities
- Presentation of material
- Career goals and confidence
- Interview skills
Applicants will be scored based on the selection criteria and up to three students will be selected to receive a $750 travel award to the annual seminar. Winners of travel awards MUST attend the AHP Seminar in Orlando, Florida on June 16-18, 2016 to receive their award. The travel award winners will be interviewed on Thursday afternoon during the seminar. The AHP Student Award winner will be selected and announced during the Student Award Party on Friday, June 17, 2016.
2016 Travel Award Winners
A travel award of $750, complimentary seminar registration* and complimentary Student membership* will be awarded to up to three applicants. Travel Award winners have an opportunity to participate with equine publishing professionals in a three-day seminar and related activities at the AHP Seminar in Orlando, Florida on June 16-18, 2016. Travel Award winners must agree to attend the seminar arriving by Thursday morning and departing no earlier than Sunday to receive the award. The travel award winners will be notified by March 7, 2016.
Student Award Winner
The winner receives a cash award of $1,000 and the title of 2016 AHP Student Award Winner. In addition, the winner receives an all-expense paid trip provided by Publishers Press to attend their Two-Day Customer Education Seminar in Louisville, KY. Additional cash awards awarded at the discretion of the judges to the runners-up. All cash awards are sponsored by AIM Equine Network.
All Qualified Applicants
All qualified applicants will receive a complimentary Student membership*, a critique of their resume, and complimentary Student registration* certificate for the annual seminar in Orlando, Florida on June 16-18, 2016.
*Registrations and memberships are not transferable.
Mail application to:
AHP Student Award Contest
Judy Lincoln, Student Award Coordinator
49 Spinnaker Circle
South Daytona, FL 32119