Sigma Alpha Sorority
Who are we?
Sigma Alpha is a professional sorority dedicated to excellence in women pursuing careers in agriculture. The University of Maryland, College Park chapter (Beta Alpha chapter) was founded in 2003 and is very active. Sisters participate in professional development workshops, network with industry professionals, participate in philanthropy projects, and build lasting friendships by just having fun! New sisters are welcomed every spring and fall semester.
What do we do?
Past and present events and projects include:
- Professional workshops, which include speakers from different agricultural industries, resume building, dressing for success, and public speaking
- Attending local and national conferences
- Networking with industry professionals
- Raising money and donating our time to support charities like Heifer International, the Baltimore ASPCA, children in military families, and clothing drives
- Cleaning up Paint Branch Stream
- Coordinating Ag Day Kiss-a-Pig Competition
- Our retreat each semester. In the past we have visited and camped at Harpers Ferry, The Buck, sisters' farms, and Assateague Island
- We also have fun outdoor events like shooting trap, driving tractors, and getting our hands dirty!
University Chapter website: sigmaalphaumd.org
National Sorority Website: www.sigmaalpha.org
Email President Katelyn Gnegy: firstname.lastname@example.org