Before foreign faculty or researchers can come to UMD to study or conduct research, they must have a work plan and supply information that will help UMD with getting them here. AGNR faculty should coordinate with their department business office, which will work with UMD International Student & Scholar Services in obtaining a visa. Please note this process may take 2-4 months. Plan accordingingly.
The Letter of Invitation to the visiting scholar must include certain information:
- be invited by a university faculty member or administrator. The letter must be on department or college letterhead and contain this information:
- name of the AGNR supervisor (faculty)
- name of potential visiting scholar
- time range of visit -- Jan. 1 - June 30, 2016, for example.
- Statement on funding - amount and source
- Statement that scholar will return to his/her country at end of visiting period.
UMD's International Student & Scholar Services has very good information on obtaining the visa and rules governing scholars' time in the U.S., travel restrictions, housing, etc.