Program Management Specialist
University of Maryland Extension | Columbia, MD | Posted: Mar 17 2017
Position Number: 122844
Category Status: Nonexempt, Contingent Category II
Unit: AGNR-UME-Family and Consumer Sciences
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation's legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation's capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
This position is a full-time staff position located at the FSNE state office in Columbia, MD. The Program Management Specialist performs a full range of duties related to management of the day-to-day operations of the FSNE State Office including office supplies, computer equipment, correspondence and file management. The Program Management Specialist assists with office procedures and practices and in the support and preparation for staff trainings and other nutrition education programming needs. Additional responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage the daily operations of the FSNE state office including office equipment, ordering supplies, interfacing with the management company, managing and maintaining supply and material inventory, managing material distribution, coordinating IT equipment and answering and managing the phone system.
- Develop and implement file organization system and electronic and archived record-keeping systems including critical documents and files such as the annual proposal, collaborator agreements, annual reports and programmatic files.
- Provide assistance in the hiring and orientation of new employees including candidate correspondence; computer ordering for staff; updating and managing listserv, web-based directories and employee database to ensure accurate employee listings and records; and providing training to new employees on applicable topics.
- Interacts with internal and external customers and manages office correspondence utilizing discretion and a proactive, problem solving approach.
- Assists with the development and implementation of new or revised office procedures and practices.
The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Other related duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of experience in administrative staff work and/or office management
- Ability to independently handle multiple tasks and set priorities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse and dispersed group of individuals
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong excel and mathematical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong sense of initiative and problem-solving
- Moderate desk work and lifting
Position Closing Date:
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.