Assistant Director (UME Assistant Director of Operations)
University of Maryland Extension | College Park, MD | Posted: Mar 2 2017
Position Number: 103488
Category Status: Exempt Regular
Unit: AGNR-UME-Associate Director
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation's legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation's capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Assistant Director of Operations (ADO), working closely with the Associate Dean /Associate Director of University of Maryland Extension (UME), will provide management oversight for faculty/staff in UME with regard to organizational function. Specifically this individual will provide support to Area Extension Directors (AEDs), Baltimore City Extension Director (BCED), and unit chairs/coordinators in the areas of fiscal management, personnel management and public relations. The ADO understands and supports UME vision, mission and program initiatives and priorities and manages field operations to support those areas statewide. In carrying out these duties, the ADO understands and ensures implementation of all University, College and UME policies and procedures. The ADO represents the interest of all fieldbased faculty and staff to the UME Leadership Team.
- Provides guidance and support to AEDs, and Baltimore City Extension Director in budget preparation, proposals, justification and management of funds.
- Works closely with AGNR College Administrative Service office to oversee all federal, state and local funds allocated in support of UME.
- Works with UME business managers in the state to ensure daytoday management of appropriated public and private funds.
- Works with AGNR College HR office for all hiring, orientation, support and termination of UME employees.
- Provides direct supervision for mentoring and development of area extension directors.
- Provides direct supervision for key support staff inclusive of budget, personnel, grants, contracts and information technology.
- Supports local administrators (AEDs and BCED) with personnel issues as needed.
- Ensures Performance Review and Development (PRD) process is completed for all field based UME exempt and nonexempt positions with coordination by area or ADO support staff.
- Supports AED/BCED in county/city/area Extension Advisory Council/Board development and engagement.
- Master’s Degree in business administration, agricultural economics/business, human resources, or other related disciplines.
- Five years senior management experience in business administration, including fiscal and personnel management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong background and skills in budgeting and finance.
- Excellent knowledge and ability to manage human resource related issues.
- A demonstrated ability to navigate sensitive issues and arbitrate successful outcomes.
- Personal Transportation and valid driver’s license required. Must be willing to travel within the state.
- Working knowledge of the local, state and federal agencies and groups involved in Extension/Agricultural College related issues.
Salary & Benfit Information:
All candidates must apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu. A complete application packet includes a cover letter, resume or CV, unofficial academic transcripts, and three (3) professional references, including name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Position Closing Date:
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.