Agricultural Technician Supervisor
University of Maryland | College Park, MD | Posted: Apr 3 2017
Position Number: 122877
Category Status: Nonexempt Staff, Contingent 2
Unit: AGNR-Plant Science & Landscape Architecture
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation's legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation's capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
An Agricultural Technician Supervisor is sought to provide support for the herbicide trial activities conducted by the Trials Center. This program performs applied research that provides educational information related to the weed control in agronomic systems producing corn, soybean, winter wheat, and other crops of interest.
- High School Diploma or GED AND Six year’s progressively responsible experience in agriculture work, four years of which must have been in laboratory or field research and two years of which must have been in a lead or supervisory capacity. OTHER: Valid Maryland Noncommercial Class C or equivalent driver’s license.
- Masters’ degree in Weed Science, Agronomy, Plant Science, Soil Science, Biology or similar with at least two years of experience.
- Familiarity with operation and minor maintenance of equipment used for the project including planter, combine, sickle mower, and backpack sprayer.
- Experience working with agronomic crops, including corn, wheat and soybean.
- Broad computer proficiency and experience managing and analyzing large datasets.
- Valid Commercial Class A or equivalent driver’s license.
- Research Applicator License
- Chemical applicator license
Conditions of Employment–
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or Maryland Noncommercial Class B or equivalent driver’s license may be required. If required to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License, employees will be subjected to drug and alcohol education and testing as required under Federal Highway Administration and the State of Maryland regulations.
- Certification by the Maryland State Department of Agriculture as a pesticide applicator may be required. Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job.
- Ability to lift and carry more than 40 pounds.
Salary & Benfit Information:
Position Closing Date:
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.