Government Affairs/Policy Intern
Organic Trade Association | Washington, DC | Posted: May 6 2014
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The Organic Trade Association (OTA) is looking for a Government Affairs/Policy Intern who is interested in working with a team that is passionate about organic food and farming (www.ota.com)! OTA is the membership-based business association for the organic industry in North America. Our mission is to promote and protect organic trade to benefit the environment, farmers, the public and the economy. We envision organic products becoming a significant part of everyday life, enhancing people's lives and the environment. We represent over 6500 businesses across the organic supply chain and address all things organic, including food, fiber/textiles, personal care products and new sectors as they develop.
We’re looking for someone to help us with our government affairs and policy work in Washington, DC. The internship will pay $12 per hour.
- Monitoring the internet to identify relevant hearings in Congress and meetings at the agencies regarding policy issues important to the organic sector
- Monitoring the internet the identify relevant Federal Register notices of rulemaking proceedings that are important to the organic sector
- Researching and writing white papers on issues of importance to the organic sector
- Researching organic representation on government boards
- Light administrative tasks
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think outside of the box and identify innovative solutions to problems
- Excellent organization skills
- Must show initiative, creativity, and ability to work independently
- Must be self-motivated and have an energetic personality
If you meet the qualifications listed above and are interested in working for an organization focused on organic agriculture please send your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience, availability, and number of hours per week you would like to work to Marni Karlin (email@example.com).
Position Closing Date: Open Until Filled